Monday, March 9, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

I am going to celebrate my 73rd birthday on 22nd of this month. My musings on the occassion :

I have had a very happy and comfortable life so far. The pains, the anguish, the heartaches have been there, but only few. Besides God has given a very good trait to my personality - I easily and quickly leave behind and forget my unhappy experiences. I give the impression of a self-centered and quarrelsome person, but the truth is that I am a very simple and innocent person. Now I am 73 and I still retain my innocence. I know what cunningness is but I reject it as it does not pay in life. I am affectionate and harmless. I blush as I give these compliments to myself.

Behind my self-approval and satisfaction is a woman. Her name is Shailbala. She came to me as my wife in 1962 when I was 26 and she was just 19. She was so innocent and unaware of the ways of the world that one could have called her utterly ignorant. I too was her match as far as purity and innocence is concerned, but I was not ignorant. During these past 47 years, Shailbala has very subtly brought about a revolutionary change in me. I have become a better person as a result of her benign influence. A large part of what is good in me is due to my dear wife.

The proof of these 'good' qualities in me is the fact that God has granted me a very smooth and easy life. I believe that a crooked and cunning person is never given a life free of major troubles and tensions. I believe that inner peace and calm is the divine gift bestowed on guileless people. If in moments of anger and disgust, I wish ill of someone, I am full of fear the next moment, as I firmly believe that by doing so I will invite upon me the Divine wrath.

I have praised myself to my heart's content. Hoewer, let me admit that I am no saint and that I am quite ego-centric, quick-tempered and that I am quite prone to misunderstand others. I pray to SAI to rid me of these evil traits. Oh! Sainath grant me the boon of a peaceful and painless existence for the remaining days of my life. The following lines of a 'Bhajan' express my feelings as I turn 73 :

Bahut diyaa denewale ne tujh ko aanchal hi na samaaye to kya keeje, Beet gaye jaise ye din raina aage bhi kat jaaye dua keeje.


1 comment:

Shail Bala said...

Your expression about yourself is quite true. Only you came closest to my heart & will remain till my death.
Shailbala.