Friday, February 27, 2009

Love for Life, Death And God

Every religion tells us that God is omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent. Modes of worship vary from one faith to another, but everyone who believes in God regards Him as all-knowing, all-powerful and present everywhere. If a person believes in God and keeps these divine attributes in mind, he will actually become a God-realized soul. As for me, I cheat God and my own self by indulging in activities thoughts and ambitions that are not good and I know from my own conscience that these being ignoble can never get divine approval. Since I am a very ordinary person, slave of base passions and ambitions, I just try to ignore God in such situations. Keeping in mind that He knows all and that one cannot hide anything from Him is still helpful spiritually as one keeps oneself within limits and feels repentant for nurturing evil ideas. Spiritual masters tell never to forget God and Death. I think that besides remembering God and death one should also not ignore this beautiful and wonderful life. Sai Baba's teachings give us the message of living this life happily and meaningfully. If one serves a suffering person, one derives lots of pleasure.This makes our life worth living. It is a unique enjoyment. Too much ascetecism, like observing fasts and subjecting oneself to physical hardship for spiritual purification does not appeal to me, nor is it advocated by Shri Sai Nath. Too much asceticism as well as too much sensual pleasures both result in making one feel "spiritually heavy". I hope I have been able to express myself through this eaxpression. Many of us have felt that fundamentalism and orthodoxy of a religious person is far inferior compared to the simple lover of God or a spiritual person. In fact religious fundamentalism and orthodoxy is extremly harmful both for the individual and the society. The truth of this statement is proved by the havoc that is perpetrated by the religious bigots in India and other countries of the world. I prefer simple spirituality to religiousity.

Dr. N. C. Misra, Ph. D.

No comments: